Kamada Ekadashi Vrat 2020.
Rituals during Kamada Ekadashi:
- The day of Kamada Ekadashi starts at sunrise with an early bath. The devotees then make preparations for worshipping Lord Vishnu. On this day, the idol of Lord Krushna is worshipped with sandalwood, flowers, fruits and dhoop. This ritual is meant to invoke the blessings of Lord Krushna.
- The fast of Kamada Ekadashi must be observed with devotion and by following certain rules. The observer of this fast can eat one simple meal that comprises of milk products, fruits, vegetables, nuts and dried fruits. The food should be ‘saatvik’ and purely vegetarian. Even for those not keeping a fast, eating rice, moong dal, wheat and barley is not allowed on the day of Kamada Ekadashi.
- The fast of Kamada Ekadashi begins from the ‘dashami’ of the Chaitra Shukla Paksha. On this tithi the person should take only one meal before sunset. The fasting continues for a period of 24 hours from the sunrise of ekadashi to the sunrise of the following day, Dwadashi. During this period, the person must abstain from eating food and drinking a sip of water. The fast is broken on the next day, after offering food and some ‘dakshina’ to a Brahmin.
- On this day devotees do not sleep during the afternoon as well as night. They chant Vedic mantras and bhajans in praise of Shri Krushna, an avatar of Lord Vishnu. Reciting ‘Vishnu Sahastranaam’ is considered to be very auspicious. On this occasion special yagyas, discourses and speeches are held in Lord Vishnu temples all over India.
- The observer of the vrat must also listen to the Kamada Ekadashi vrat katha. This katha was formerly narrated by Saint Vasistha to Maharaja Dilip, who was great grandfather of Shri Ram, an incarnation of Lord Vishnu.
Significance of Kamada Ekadashi:
Kamada Ekadashi is the first ekadashi observance of the Hindu year, making it the most revered of all the Ekadashi rituals. The greatness of Kamada Ekadashi has been described in several Hindu religious scriptures and puranas like ‘Varaha Purana’. During Mahabharata, Shri Krushna explained the virtues and benefits of Kamada Ekadashi to Pandava King Yudhishtira. The Kamada ekadashi vratam helps a person to regain and improve their virtues. It also protects the devotees and their family members from all the curses inflicted on them. Even the most heinous sins like killing of Brahmin is pardoned if a person keeps the Kamada Ekadashi vrat with full commitment. It is also a popular belief that by observing the Kamada Ekadashi fast with dedication, childless couples are blessed with a male progeny. People observing this sacred fast will also get liberated from the cycle of birth and death and ultimately reach to ‘Vaikunth’ the adobe of Lord Vishnu.