jai shree krushna,
Kalakand a delicay prepared with care and devotion to offer Shree Thakurji ,this sweet prepared from milk as base and mixing two forms of it…It the dhoodh ghar samagri offered to Shree Thakurji as naivaidhya.
- 1/2 gallon milk for Khoya / Mawa.
- 1/2 gallon milk for Chhena / cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 or 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Pistachios crushed / chopped.
- 3 parts chhana and 1 part khoya / mawa together simmered slowly with white sugar for hours. Continuous stirring and low heat cooking result in a pure-white kalakand.
- Chhena: Boil milk add the limejuice and stir, the milk splits and separates. Then pour the whole thing immediately into a clean muslin or cheese-cloth in a colander, over a sink. Gather the curds by twisting the cloth into a firm lump. The fresh paneer called chhena is ready.
Khoya /Mawa: The milk is boiled and reduced, to about one fourths of the original quantity. This is khoya. Keep stirring so that it does not stick the bottom. Now add sugar to the Khoya / Mawa keep stirring also add the Chenna. Keep mixing on low flame till the mixture is blended well and no water remains. It takes 1 hr. to 45 mins.
- Now pour mixture onto a plate. Level it evenly and allow to cool completely. The mixture thickens and firms up even more on cooling. With a knife, cut the cooled kalakand to squares pieces and sprinkle crushed pistachios.Offer the jewel like decorated kalakand to Shree Thakurji and enjoy the prasadi too.